BELGRADE — Cooperation between the police internal control and the prosecution in a criminal investigation of police illegal behavior, will be the main topic of the conference organized by the regional POINTPULSE network of civil society and Regional Anti-Corruption Initiative (RAI) on 21 of December in Hotel Zira (Ruzveltova 35, Belgrade).
The conference will create an environment for debating the challenges in cooperation between police internal control bodies and prosecution, with a goal of proposing solutions for more effective criminal liability system for police officers. The success of this cooperation contributes to police integrity building, but also to the general prevention of the criminal offenses committed by police officers.
The conference will directly address the following needs:
- The lack of regional debate on most pressing issues and solutions for police integrity;
- The absence of effective application of criminal liability procedures.
Members of the regional POINTPULSE network, representative of RAI, police professionals and prosecutors will discuss following issues:
- What are the results of criminal investigations of police illegal behavior?
- Are the results of criminal investigations good enough?
- What is the quality of cooperation between the internal control and prosecution?
- Is independence of each other an issue or not in a criminal investigation?
- What are the Regional Anti-Corruption priorities in the field of police integrity?
- How are priorities in starting criminal investigations determined?
- How to improve the criminal liability of police officers?
Working languages for the conference are Albanian, Bosnian, Macedonian, Montenegrin and Serbian. Simultaneous translation to English will be provided.
The conference “Criminal Liability of Police Officers in the Western Balkans” is a joint initiative of the regional POINTPULSE network of civil society and the Regional Anti-Corruption Initiative, and marks the finalization of the third year of the project “Western Balkans Pulse for Police Integrity and Trust”. The conference is supported by the Netherlands Embassy in Serbia and the European Union through the program “Civil Society Facility”.
For participation at the conference, it is necessary to confirm your attendance by Wednesday, 20 of December 2017. Confirmations of attendance can be submitted either via telephone +381 11 3287226 or via email at email@example.com.
The conference draft program and information about the POINTPULSE is available HERE.