MOSTAR – The Centre for Security Studies (CSS) is inviting you to the discussion in order prepare recommendations to advance oversight of the police.
The event will be held on Thursday, 19 of April 2018, from 11:00 in the Hotel City, Vukovarska bb in Mostar.
The recommendations will be designed with the help of representatives of external oversight bodies, police institutions, civil society and international organizations.
The following two groups of topics will be discussed:
1) External oversight of the police:
- How well parliamentary the bodies oversee the police work?
- Does the lack of a law on parliamentary oversight diminish the importance of parliamentary bodies in exercising oversight of the police work?
- What are the benefits of adopting the law on parliamentary oversight?
- Is the work of external oversight bodies sufficiently transparent?
- What needs to be done in order to improve the external oversight of police work in the coming period?
2) Police internal control:
- Are the internal control bodies sufficiently independent, and how effective are they in preventing corruption in the police?
- Does the police pay enough attention in building trust among citizens?
- What are the key issues in the work of internal police control?
- How can the internal control of the police influence the strengthening of integrity and how civil society can help with that?
- How do we improve the system of internal police control?
Mirela Hodović, Researcher, CSS
Denis Hadžović, General Secretary, CSS
The public consultation will be held in the Bosnian language. Simultaneous translation in the English language will be also provided.
The discussion is part of the project “Western Balkans Pulse for Police Integrity and Trust”. The project is supported by the European Union through the “Civil Society Facility” program. The views expressed in the project are exclusively those of CSS and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union.